Monday, September 13, 2010

Triathlon - Keeping it fun

Today I begin my 36 week training plan towards Ironman Texas with a swim scheduled for this afternoon. This past weekend I was filled with a mix of emotions ranging from excitement to nervousness which got me thinking about how I would make it through this training, not only physically but mentally. Luckily for me, I had a ride scheduled with a friend on Sunday. This was going to be an easy ride and was more about camaraderie than fitness. During the ride, the conversation turned to the fact that he had more fun riding the past few months due to the fact that he was just enjoying the ride and wasn't always trying to push the rides for improvement, but was riding just to "ride". That is when the proverbial light bulb went off in my mind. Even though I take my training seriously, I need to remember I do this for fun and I don't have a paycheck waiting for me at the finish. If training becomes more of a job than a hobby I need to step back and look at my priorities and remember my "First and Last" (see earlier post). Sure I understand that there will be mornings that I don't want to wake up at 5am for a swim or run before work, but that is just being lazy. Once I get moving I know I will be having fun, and if the training is not fun, why bother racing? I'm not looking forward to the pain to come, but I know that the friendships, camaraderie, and bonds that will be strengthened and made during the next 36 weeks will stay with me for a lifetime, I just need to remember to keep the training fun.

And on a serious note since this is all for fun..... Should I go with a 1080 rear or a sub-9 disk for Ironman Texas!

1 comment:

  1. The camaraderie is important. You will experience a lot of days which seem as though the training is no longer fun. You just have to go with it anyway if your goal is to complete that distance. It's not going to always be fun. Not Ironman training. I have never known anyone who trained for Ironman distance that didn't grow to hate the training aspect. But once you have that baby, you'll forget about all the pain and you'll, of course, want to do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete